Human rights and international law expert Professor Hilary Charlesworth, says that Australia's appointment to the UN Human Rights Council gives the country an opportunity to examine its own human rights record.
The $1 billion purpose-built treatment, education and research facility will bring together the world’s best researchers and clinicians and scientists and drive breakthroughs in cancer prevention, detection and treatment.
From mid-2016, the VCCC will be a brand new and expanded home for the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre. With more beds and double the number of operating theatres and procedure rooms, consulting rooms and radiation therapy bunkers, Peter Mac will be able to deliver more care to more patients.
The VCCC will also provide new state-of-the-art cancer research and clinical facilities for Melbourne Health, and more than 25,000 square metres of dedicated space for over 1200 cancer researchers.
Professor Grant McArthur and Professor Andrew Roberts have been appointed to lead the research and education of two specific cancers – melanoma and haematology – and Professor Jon Emery will oversee the delivery of primary care at the VCCC.
As VCCC Alliance Research and Education Leads, these experts will:
• Develop and harmonise high quality, VCCC-wide research and educational activities,
• Embed international and local research into clinical practice at the VCCC,
• Increase the impact, breadth and depth of research relevant to the tumour stream across the VCCC,
• Establish the framework for post-graduate education and training activities that underpin excellence in clinical care and research,
• Increase the use of integrated research and clinical data across VCCC partners, and
• Establish a framework to promote multi-site clinical trials.
These appointments have been made for a 12 month period, and further appointments will soon be made for other cancer areas.
The VCCC Alliance comprises Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Royal Women’s Hospital, Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Royal Children’s Hospital, St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne, Western Health, Austin Health, and Murdoch Childrens Research Institute.